Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hippy Tour of Haight-Ashbury

First you should hit this music shop in North Beach, it's easy to find, just ask around.
In the basement, down some old rickety stairs, is the biggest record collection I've ever seen....
Then go see the Beatnik literature department at City Lights Bookstore!
The Boom Boom Room is a must-see. It was right next to our hotel too;
ON TO HAIGHT ASHBURY!!!!
The painted houses!
The carved tree stumps!
Wall decor from the 1960s still hangs around at Kate's Kitchen on Lower Haight;
The first of some amazing outdoor wall murals -
This is sort of retro 60's -
I'd call it "The Pensive Beaver."
Jimmy and Jerry on a HUGE wall -
More -
This was gigantic, check out the size of the cars under it -
More painted houses along Haight Street -
This is 710 Ashbury Street, the Grateful Dead House!
I liked the Haight, but this candy shop was nice too! See the nice lady!
On my last day I went to Berkeley, and here's their biggest record shop, Rasputin Music:
Here's the UC Berkeley clock tower, I don't know if I fit in here or not...
probably not.
Here's a Happy Hippy High Herbs shop, looking down beseechingly on some modern day Berkeley engineering students who obviously don't believe in herbal remedies:

1 comment:

  1. I was a 12 year old hippie kid in 1969. Our house was right on Telegraph Ave. Rasputin's was there then. I bought the Beatles Abbey Road there the very first day it came out. The store windows were completely covered in Abbey Road Albums from top to bottom. It cost $3.99 I believe. Ran home and played it on my little portable "suitcase" type record player. I thought it sounded great........haha.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About